Which are the World’s Best Extra Virgin Olive Oils ? There is no doubt that Spain is the number one producer of Olive Oil in the world (60% of worldwide production in 2013/14). But perhaps what not many people know is that Spain also produces very good quality oils. According to the ranking of the World’s Best Extra Virgin Olive Oils , recently published (23th of June 2015), Spain has the top 4 oils in the world!
Every harvest olive oil producers from traditional producer countries (eg. Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece or Tunisia) and new producer countries (eg. Uruguay, Chile, Australia or South Africa, amongst others) present their oils to different competitions around the world. The oils are sensory analyzed by a panel of experts in tasting Olive Oil. The result of these competitions is measured and evaluated in Germany, then presented as a ranking at the end of June as The World’s Best Extra Virgin Olive Oils .
In this harvest 2014-15 we can announce that:
- Venta el Baron is the number one and also has been number one in the last three editions
- Oro de Bailen picual is number 4
- Finca La Torre hojiblanca is number 6
- In the top 5 , 4 are from Andalucia.
- In the top 10, 7 are from Spain (5 from Andalucia, 1 from Castilla la Mancha and 1 from Alicante)
- From the 50, 28 are Spanish (19 of those from Andalucia). Surprisingly only 9 are from Italy.
Congratulations to all of those who have made this prestigious list, because of all the hard work they have done.
I would like to invite you to visit my website and grab one of these amazing oils to enjoy at home. It is really worth the experience. If you prefer to taste some before buying then please feel free to join us at our next tasting session!